Main points to consider when choosing an electric lock
Professional lock with anti-burglary top grade
The entrance is typically the most important part of a building, a nerve point that needs to be secured. Same thing for windows, gates and open points in general. Making sure that the door, the window or the gate are properly locked, therefore, is critical. It is a safety issue and more and more electric locks play a major role in this regard, but how to choose the right electric lock?
That’s the main point. Do exist the best electric locks for doors, window or gate protection in a building?
The answer seems obvious: yes they exist, but you need to choose carefully and surely only real professional locks, handmade. Non-commercial.
The entrance doorway to a property is the place where most of attempted robberies start. According to many reports, if the burglar did not succeed in breaking the lock within a few minutes, he gives up. Everything has to be fast, when something becomes more difficult than normal, thieves change place (house, building). For this reason, door locks are more decisive than we can think.
There are numerous advantages for professional electric locks. “The benefits of professional electric lock are greater than those of conventional locks, as the one offers a higher protection and security to the people”, - Enzo Anselmi, President of CoMETA SpA says - “locking the door with just a key can be very dangerous. Installing a high-protection-designed lock and, also, with anti-burglary top grade certification is key to preventing any unwanted presence".
How to choose an electric lock
Before choosing an electric lock that fits our needs, it’s important to consider certain factors:
- Type of installation (where, the context)
- Material of the door (aluminum, iron, wood, ironwork, etc.)
- Type of functions/modes that are needed (automatic re-lock, 1 or 3 closing points, etc.)
First: Knowing the type of installation is possible to select a specific lock exactly designed for what we need, e.g. for: doors, gates, windows, shutters, trap-doors, showcases, etc. Many locks can be installed on different types of access but there are some made with a specific function, like the Co306 model (totally iron made, with 3 closing points and automatic re-lock) designed for armored doors and emergency exits.
Second: Material is also very important, because if your entrance has a weak door (e.g. aluminum or PVC plastic) the strong-lock installation turns out to be useless. The door can easily be deformed with a pressure, and this allows thieves to pass though, even if the lock resists.
Third: Once you know the application context, you have a critical third choice, Lock functions & operating modes. You have to decide e.g. if a 1 closing-point Lock is enough, or if you need a 3 closing-points Lock, if you need an “automatic re-lock” system, in this case the 3 bolts automatically come out when the door’s leaf is aligned, also when not powered (this kind of Lock still works when thieves cut the cables off).
As a final choice, it is necessary to keep in mind also the different operating modes needed, as well as the possibility to centralize and control all the locks of a building by PC, tablet or smartphone. Let's see the different modes in detail:
- Electric mode: it operates electrically only, a short electric impulse enables the door opening and close automatically.
- Mechanical automatic re-lock: not common, it works without power supply and it is possible only on a professional lock created with a built-in special mechanism (patented)
- Fail Secure mode (normally closed): the bolt is inserted when is not powered (locked door). The door opening needs an electric impulse or a manual action (using a key with the door cylinder).
- Fail Safe mode (normally open): the bolt is not inserted when is not powered (open door). The door closing needs an electric impulse or a manual action (using a key with the door cylinder).
- Control sensors: when Lock is equipped with sensors for a real time analysis of opening/closing, bolt and alignment status, etc.
- Centralization mode: it is possible only when every installed Lock has a built-in mini control-unit, in this case we have a real time centralized control with activation of all electric locks, also by PC, tablet or smartphone